The Northeastern Section and its' Foundation are dedicated to furthering urologic research. The Research and Education Fund was initiated in 1995 by Searle Canada and Searle USA. The purpose of this fund is to assure the membership of the NSAUA continued excellence in research and educational activity within our Section. Through the Section's Foundation and the Research and Education Fund, the Section is able to provide many opportunities for young Residents such as financial assistance to participate in our Annual Meeting and the opportunity to win Research Grant awards, such as the Young Investigator Awards and the Resident Prize Essay Contest.
In addition to donations from our generous members each year, a small portion of each members' dues payment is designated to support the mission of the Foundation and provide funding for the ongoing educational activities for residents conducted through the Research and Education Fund..
Young Investigator Awards - Scholarship Program
The NSAUA Scholarship Program was established in 1998 to provide financial scholarships to support research and educational projects. The program currently offers up to two scholarship awards annually, of $30,000. These Young Investigator Awards provide financial assistance to a researcher in basic or clinical sciences related to urology, and to acquiring, developing or improving his or her knowledge and skills in a specific aspect of the specialty.
To apply, candidates must:
- Have an MD or DO degree and have completed clinical training in Urology
- Be within the first 5 years of their appointment as faculty member in a Urology program within the geographic area of the Northeastern Section
- Be a current member of the Northeastern Section
Applications will open in June 2018 for the NSAUA 2018 Annual Meeting.
View Young Investigator Award Recipients
Resident Prize Essay Contest
The Resident Prize Essay Award is supported by the Section's Foundation and Research and Education fund. All residents and medical students from the Section's 16 Urology Training Programs are invited to enter their best basic science or clinical research project for consideration. Awards are presented at the Annual Meeting each year. Entries are limited to one (1) Basic Science manuscript and one (1) Clinical research manuscript per resident.
Applications now being accepted: deadline is June 29, 2018.
• First Prize: $750 Cash Award
• Second Prize: $500 Cash Award
• Third Prize: $250 Cash Award
In addition to cash prize, winners are given 7 minutes to present their research during a plenary session at the annual meeting in Toronto.
- Only Residents and medical students presently in a Northeastern Section Residency Training Program or who have completed their training within the past six months may be listed as the primary author.
- The manuscript must be on a Basic Science or Clinical subject related to urology.
- Submissions per author are limited to two. Authors may submit one basic science manuscript and one clinical manuscript, however there is a maximum of one prize per author.
- The abstract shall not have been previously published. Papers that have been submitted for publication, but have not as yet been published are acceptable for submission.
- The manuscript shall not have been presented at any other sectional or national urological meeting.
- To enter the Prize Essay Contest, your manuscript must be submitted to the Section’s Administrative Offices via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Acceptable file formats are Word Document and PDF file.
Urology Residents and Fellows
The Section Foundation supports its 16 Urology Programs by providing $500 resident stipends (up to four for a total of $2,000 per program). These stipends are to help offset costs associated with sending residents/fellows who participate in the education of the meeting (abstract presentation, Resident Debate, Residents Committee, etc). The funding is sent directly to the Institution, not to the individuals chosen to attend. Programs will receive information immediately following the Annual Meeting to apply for these stipends.